Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Coffee Cash/Community Service Challenge

I believe, fully and completely, that Queens Library can register 10,000 teens for Summer Reading 2011. So I am putting my money where my mouth is. My coffee money.

Every day until June 9, 2011 (the "official" kick-off of Summer Reading 2011) I will donate the $2.00 I would normally spend on coffee to the Coffee Cash/Community Service Challenge (I back donated from 10/2/10 so there will be a nice round $500).

If at the end of the summer, we have registered 10,000 or more teens, I will donate the $500 I have saved to a charity of the Queens Library YA Librarians' choosing.

Now, I KNOW that Queens teens are the most voracious readers in the city so I am adding a second challenge. If the Queens teens log 25,000 or more books during Summer Reading 2011, I will donate 25 hours of my time to a charity of the TEENS' choosing.

To keep me honest and to help everyone remember the spirit of Summer Reading, I will blog everything Thursday morning for the next 35 weeks with an update on the amount saved for the challenge and ideas and information about teen summer reading.

Fall is in the air but summer will be here before we know it!

Happy reading!

Vikki :)

Queens Library
Coordinator of Young Adult Services

No comments:

Post a Comment