Friday, December 17, 2010

Non-Readers

Early this week, I continued my adventures with the boys' residence where my new pal Billy resides. Monday was a rough day for the young men there. Actually, it was a rough day all around (well, I know for me it was). I think it was the snow and the abrupt drop in temperature. Or maybe something cosmic. Who knows. All I know is that several of the boys had meltdowns and the phrase "I hate the library!" was uttered so many times it broke my little librarian heart.

But I've been thinking about this all week and here's what I came up with.

First, I understand where that reflexive "I hate the library" response comes from. As I talked about last week, I get that for many of these young men (and many, many more like them throughout our borough, city, state and nation), reading is a difficult and painful activity that they associate with shame, failure and humiliation. I get this, I know this. It saddens me because, as I have said, reading has always been a source of joy to me. So I don't push, I don't try to convince them of anything that they are not ready for because I am not looking to devalue their experience. They get enough of that already. What I want them to know (and often the staff is not quite on the same page as me on this) is that the library is there as an option and an opportunity for them should they want or need it.

Second, and this was my big "A-ha!" moment this week: who says everybody has to be "a reader"? I'm not debating being literate; I'm talking about this idea that seems to be held as sacred by youth services librarians that if we just find the right book for them, every kid and teen will become a reader (meaning someone who reads books for fun). So here's the thing, again, says who, and why?

There are lots of things I do well that I would not want to do for fun. I'm pretty good at cleaning a toilet but it's not how I like to spend my Friday nights. I'm a whiz at whipping up a quick dinner but I don't really enjoy it (now baking . . . that's a whole different story). But my point is, there are lots of things we know how to do, do well, but really don't enjoy. And for lots of people, reading is one of those things. And that's okay!

I've had two conversations in the last week about what public libraries should be and in both of them, I said that I don't know if the future of libraries is going to be books on a shelf. Now don't get me wrong, I love books on a shelf. But books on a shelf are not necessarily always what our communities need or want (which I guess we will learn given the materials freeze).

INFORMATION comes in many forms and formats. We provide information when we teach a teen how to play Boggle or how to knit or how to understand their rights. We provide information when we show someone where to apply for food stamps or where the closest food pantry is. We provide information by having a place people can use a computer for free. Over the years, I've heard people say (with such scorn!) "They're only here to go on the computers!" ONLY?! That's HUGE. Think about what your life would be like if you didn't have a computer available when you need it. Our providing that is VITAL.

So, to all the "non-readers" out there, I say, come on in! We have lots to offer and we won't ever force you to read a book.

Cash in the Coffee Can: $152

No comments:

Post a Comment