Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Post that Wasn't

I've been working on this post on and off for 2 days because I can't quite figure out what I want to say even though I kind of know what I want to say. I've given myself a headache, actually, which tells me that I need to throw in the towel. So here is what I will say:

For anyone who thinks we don't need libraries, I recommend the brilliant, if unsubtle, Mike Judge satire Idiocracy. Actually, I recommend it to everyone (with the understanding that the people who don't think we need libraries probably won't get the point).

To everyone else, I will add that I watched this movie the first time in 2007 after it was recommended by a library director speaking at the Urban Libraries Council Executive Leadership Institute. I watched it again this past November and was alarmed by how much closer we've come to the future world Judge depicts in just three short years.

Great movie making? Maybe not (although it is pretty funny). Terrifying prediction of our likely future? Sadly, yes.

Cash in the Coffee Can: $208

No comments:

Post a Comment